"Leah, Leah, Leah, my dear sweet Leah, how does your garden grow?"

My true love has my heart, and I have his. Together in marriage, together at heart. In good times and hard. In sickness and in health. For now and forever.


Friday, November 4, 2011

the anthem




I never wore the uniform,
no medals on my chest.
The band it doesnt play for me,
I am not among the Best.
I do not march in cadence,
I do not rate salute,
I stand among the silent ranks,
our devotion absolute.


If you've not worn my shoes, 
You do not know my story
I live a life of sacrifice
my reward a private glory.
I've wept many silent nights away
and I've kept the home fires burning
I've worried and I've waited
as world events were churning.


I've moved more times than you could fathom,
left more people than you've known
I've planted gardens round the world--
very few that I've seen grown.
I've grieved with new-made widows,
and had my share of scares--
when a ship or plane or man was down
and all I had were prayers.


I'm not asking for your sympathy,
although appreciation would be nice,
I did it quite on accident first, 
then purpose came to me,
I chose to sacrifice. 
I'll tell you a secret now
One you'd never guess,
about the one glory that is mine,
it's just enough, no more, no less.


When you and I stand together
as our nation's anthem plays,
In my heart I reminisce
Of how I've spent my days
I know the pain and joys,
I know that freedom isn't free
I know I've paid the price,
when my father sacrificed.
I pray each and every day,
that it's the only price that I must pay.


So as that music plays
remember that anthem plays for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment