"Leah, Leah, Leah, my dear sweet Leah, how does your garden grow?"

My true love has my heart, and I have his. Together in marriage, together at heart. In good times and hard. In sickness and in health. For now and forever.


Thursday, August 12, 2010

memory

The mirror has always spoken true, my reflection has never lied,
what could create such a state, a fragile smile with broken eyes?
Tear drops dripping down my face, in the quiet restful sleep,
a simple dream about a boy that died and broke my heart plays within my mind.
He stole my smile for quite a while, I'm older now than he was then.
I've had a long, long time to think, he was always so much surer.
Then forever was that much weaker.
I close my eyes to recall-illusions from my psyche.
It thrilled my heart to embrace his smile, made my soul fly to hear his laugh,
which rang out strong and true.
It's been too long, a while, an unfair reality.
My skin is set ablaze by his hand on my cheek.
My face feels like a fire when he gave me one last kiss,
a sad look within his eye and a vague knowing nod, he turns from me.
Heartache painfully renewed, my eyes find my own and I stare into myself.
My heart and mind are racing, why now echoes within and out.
Close my eyes and fight him away.
A wasted life, lost youth and a never-was memory.
Once a year I dream about him.
It's good to hear his laugh, nice to see his smile,
but in the morning, I'll push him back, inside that dark and hidden tomb.
Rest in peace for another year, we'll meet again soon, my dearly departed friend.


Written in the memory of Marcus Shawn Ledford. 10 years after his suicide took him from my life but couldn't tear him from my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment